Leave a Comment to Enter to Win a Free CheckUp Kit
Note: This review is sponsored by Coastline Global.
Coastline Global is giving away three CheckUp at-home wellness tests for dogs. Leave a comment at the end of this post for a chance to win.
What is CheckUp?
CheckUp is a noninvasive, at-home urine test for dogs and cats.
You simply collect a urine sample from your dog or cat (lovely, I know) and then dip a testing strip in the sample and compare the colored results on the strip to markers on a card. The product is designed for in-between vet visits.
CheckUp can help dog and cat owners detect potential issues such as:
- high glucose levels (potential sign of diabetes)
- kidney conditions
- urinary tract infections
- blood in the urine
I decided to use the kit with my senior dog Ace, and his results came back as normal. Thank goodness!
CheckUp Wellness Test for Dogs Review
The bottom line:
This is a valuable product that can give dog and cat owners some peace of mind as long as they don’t mind collecting the pet’s urine sample.
Obviously this is not designed to replace a vet visit but it can help pet owners check a pet’s health between vet visits and catch potential issues early on.
I picture it being especially helpful for shelters and rescue groups, owners of senior pets, pets with chronic health issues or pets that are terrified of the vet or aggressive at the vet (talking to you, Scout!).
The cost of CheckUp
The kits are $14.99. CLICK HERE.
Each kit for dogs includes:
- 1 telescopic pole (extends to about 18″ – just guessing)
- 1 detachable metal ring to hold large, disposable cup + lid
- 1 sample collection pipette
- 1 sample collection vial to hold small urine sample for testing
- 2 identical testing strips to dip into urine samples and compare results on card
There are separate kits for dogs and for cats but they test for the same issues. The cat version comes with some special sand you can put in the litter box for collecting a urine sample.
Pros of CheckUp
- CheckUp is another at-home tool to help you gather as much information as possible. Like a pet thermometer, for example.
- Affordable (normally $14.99 per kit on Amazon). By comparison, urinalysis at a vet office varies but you can expect to pay around $100 or more.
- Only takes about 60 seconds for the test strip to show the results (vs. waiting quite some time for lab results).
- Comes with a vial you can seal and keep a sample if needed for further testing at your pet’s vet.
- Great for monitoring your pet between vet visits, especially for senior pets or pets with chronic health issues.
- Comes with a pole (extends to about 18″), metal ring and cup & lid to easily collect the dog’s urine.
- The cat version comes with special sand you can put in the litter box for collecting the urine sample. Trust me, this is a plus! I collected my cat’s urine sample with a spoon once!
- Easy to use, just make sure you read the directions ahead of time.
- Non-invasive and non-stressful for most pets.
Cons of CheckUp
- Well … you have to be willing to collect a urine sample. This is more challenging for some pets than others. 🙂
- It would be nice if it came with plastic gloves. You know …
- Some vets may still want you to pay for a urinalysis or bloodwork through their office. That will depend on the individual vet, your specific pet, the health issue in question, etc.
You might say one “con” could be some people will use it as an excuse not to go to the vet. I don’t think that is true. Anyone who cares enough to buy this kit and collect a sample is going to take their pet to the vet if they think necessary.
Would I buy a CheckUp kit for my pets?
Yes, I would buy this product every now and then if my budget were a little more flexible. It’s one of those things I don’t see as a necessity but would be nice to use every couple of months.
I would be more likely to use this for my cats than my dogs because I don’t take my cats to the vet very often.
Would I recommend CheckUp to others?
Yes, I recommend this product to owners of senior dogs or dogs with chronic health issues. I also recommend it for cat owners because most of us don’t take our cats to the vet as often as our dogs.
This would be a good product for shelters and rescue groups to have on hand as well.
Giveaway – Win a CheckUp home wellness kit for your dog (three winners)
Enter to win one of three CheckUp kits.
*Congrats to the winners: Ann, Sandy and Amy!
Just leave a comment below and you’re entered. Let me know why you’d like to try this product.
I’ll choose the three winners at random on Tuesday May 24. Winners must have a U.S. mailing address to win or have the product sent to a friend in the U.S.
Would you like to try this product?
Let me know if you think CheckUp would be useful!
Other posts about CheckUp:
Other recent reviews or giveaways on That Mutt: