Note: This review is sponsored by Balanced Blends Raw Diets.
UPDATE: Balanced Blends launched its website and is now taking orders. (The successful Kickstarter campaign is over.)
Balanced Blends is a new raw dog food company that delivers pre-made, frozen raw diets to dogs and cats.
The company launched a pre-order Kickstarter campaign (April 26) with promotional discounts on its raw diets.
Balanced Blends is a fully funded company, and the Kickstarter campaign was designed to give people a chance to order the food at the “early bird” rate.
Balanced Blends is now taking orders on its website. Click here.
Here’s how the campaign works:
The Kickstarter campaign is a promotion where pet owners can:
1. Pre-order raw dog food and raw cat food at a discounted price + free shipping. (These specials are limited, so it’s best to order as soon as possible.)
2. Receive an extended special rate for up to six months.
For example, 10 pounds of the beef dinner for dogs will be $70 ($7 per pound) after the campaign, but anyone who pre-orders would receive the food for $40. (Savings of $30.)
Balanced Blends raw dog food review
Balanced Blends recently sent my dog Ace and two cats some of its frozen raw dinners to try. I charged a fee in exchange for my honest review.
What is Balanced Blends?
Balanced Blends is a new raw dog food company that delivers frozen, pre-made dinners to your door.
Dinners are available for dogs and cats in beef or chicken varieties, and the company said it’s planning other varieties such as rabbit and turkey. Food is delivered to the customer’s door, and you can sign up for regular deliveries.
The food is made with raw meat, bones, organs, fruits and veggies, vitamins and minerals. The recipes are formulated to meet the AAFCO’s nutrient profile, according to Balanced Blends. (The cat food does not contain produce.)
The bottom line:
This is a high-quality food I would love to feed my pets on a regular basis if not for my senior dog’s current health issues that prevent us from feeding raw at the moment.
I am an advocate of raw dog food diets and even wrote a raw feeding guide, but my pets are currently eating dry food. They got to try Balanced Blends as a treat.
The cost of Balanced Blends:
The regular price of the Balanced Blends raw diets will be:
- Dogs – chicken dinners: $6/pound
- Dogs – beef dinners: $7/pound
- Cats – chicken dinners: $7/pound
- Cats – beef dinners: $8/pound
(Free shipping on orders of 20 pounds or more.)
Where to buy:
You can pre-order the food at a promotional rate through Kickstarter. After the Kickstarter campaign, the food will be available for ordering at the Balanced Blends website.
Update: You can now order Balanced Blends.
What’s unique about Balanced Blends?
1. It delivers. Balanced Blends also offers an easy-to-edit subscription program.
2. Transparency. Balanced Blends stresses that potential customers should ask any questions about the food, operations, etc.
3. Food safety. Balanced Blends said it uses high-pressure processing in its final packaging to eliminate re-contamination. It also uses a “test and hold” protocol where the food is lab tested by a third party and released for sale only after pathogen test results come back negative.
4. High percentage of meat. The raw dog food diets are 90 percent meat, organs and bone. The raw cat food diets are 99.5 percent meat, organs and bone.
Pros of Balanced Blends raw dog and cat food:
- The price per pound is very easy to calculate based on how the website is organized. (Not always the case with other companies!)
- The company sets high standards for food safety.
- Made with organic fruits and veggies (for dogs) and no fruits and veggies for cats (they don’t need’m!).
- Subscription program available & can cancel, edit or pause anytime!
- Full list of ingredients listed on the label and the website.
- Meat is not organic (however, this helps keep the price down).
- Some pets can’t have chicken OR beef, and those are the only two options available (so far).
- Estimated delivery for the pre-orders is not until June – Just have to be patient!
- Cost is high but not as high as some of the other raw dog food companies. (Plus free shipping on 20 pounds or more.)
- Packaging is not easy to open & not resealable. I just put leftovers in large Ziploc bags.
Would I buy Balanced Blends?
No, the cost is too much for me at this time. Also, I’m feeding dry food at least temporarily due to a potential auto-immune problem with my senior dog.
Would I recommend Balanced Blends to others?
Yes! It’s a high-quality food I would feel comfortable feeding my pets if not for my senior dog’s health issues. I recommend it to raw feeders or those interested in getting started with a raw diet.
How about the rest of you …
Are you interested in feeding Balanced Blends?
You can do TWO things:
1. Visit the pre-order Kickstarter campaign. (Early dog specials are limited, so order sooner rather than later.)
2. Leave any questions about the company in the comments and I’ll get them answered.
Balanced Blends review (on My Pawsitively Pets)