This may horrify you, but at least you’ll know when the mess is gone

LED black light flashlight for finding pet stains

Note: This is a sponsored post.

I had the chance to test out the LED black light flashlight from Oliver Rocket Pet Products (aff link).

Yikes! This thing really works, and let’s just say my cats should be ashamed of themselves.

I consider myself responsible. I clean up after my pets as soon as I notice there’s something to clean up. Like, I get down on my hands and knees and really scrub the area. We go through a lot of paper towels around here.

Well, apparently I need a better cleaning product because when I used the black light flashlight in the “cat room” (our spare bedroom), I discovered hairball stains everywhere – in areas that I remember cleaning. I love Scout and Beamer, but seriously, they are beyond gross. I don’t know what they do at night, but it’s not pretty.

I was going to post some “before” and “after” photos but thought I’d spare you.

SONY DSC

If you think your pets are nastier than mine, leave a comment to let me know the worst pet-cleaning nightmare you’ve had to face. At least we can all laugh about it after the fact.

More about the Oliver Rocket Pet Products flashlight

Black light flashlight for pets

The flashlight from Oliver Rocket Pet Products sells for just $13.95 on Amazon with free shipping.

The flashlight is sturdy but lightweight, with a durable aluminum casing and 12 ultra-bright UV LEDs.

“I am sure there are others that are also of high quality, but for the price I can not imagine there are many made better,” said Jared Feldmeier, of Oliver Rocket Pet Products.

The company’s goal is to partner with good suppliers in order to offer high-quality products at the same price as the cheaply made versions, Feldmeier said.

The flashlight also:

  • comes with 3 AAA batteries so you can use the product immediately.
  • weighs just 0.3 ounces, according to the company.
  • comes in handy for non-pet scenarios, like cleaning your kitchen

Let’s be honest, I also turned out the lights and tried the flashlight in my own bedroom and bathroom. I was prepared to be grossed out, but thankfully it was pretty clean in there (phew!).

Why pet owners need a black light flashlight

Examples of when a black light flashlight comes in handy:

1. If you have a puppy, dog or cat that marks, sprays or has accidents, you can use the flashlight to find exactly where to clean.

2. Perfect for people who foster dogs and cats. Animals are more likely to mark or have accidents in new, unfamiliar areas.

3. Great for those who offer in-home pet sitting.

4. Helpful for general home cleaning, like finding dirt and grime in kitchens and bathrooms.

This flashlight will help you get rid of the entire stain

The best thing about this black light flashlight? I know exactly where to clean, and I know when the stain is completely gone.

No more guessing about whether or not I really cleaned up that hairball. All I have to do is turn out the lights and shine the black light to make sure the mess is truly gone after cleaning.

Do you know how refreshing it is to have a room that is actually clean? Some of us with pets have forgotten what that feels like, and this little tool can make all the difference, especially when matched with a good stain remover.

You can purchase a flashlight on Amazon here for just $13.95.

What’s the most embarrassing pet mess you’ve had to clean up?

18 thoughts on “This may horrify you, but at least you’ll know when the mess is gone”

  1. I’ve been thinking about getting something like this… with the foster puppy going to her forever home and with the crankiness of my cat, I’m dying to know if there are un-discovered accidents around the house. But I also don’t want to know! 🙂 I appreciate the review, though, because many of the products I looked at were far more expensive than this!

    1. Lindsay Stordahl

      Yep, perfect for those of us who foster. This light is a great price and works really well. The batteries don’t rattle around or anything, which has been my experience with cheaper flashlights. It’s sturdy and bright … and it’s disturbing to see all the stains! 🙂

  2. I think this is one of those times where ignorance is bliss for me.

    Our most embarrassing pet mess was vomit. Why embarrassing? Well, it was dry, so it had been there for a little while. Where’s there? The middle of the living room floor. I really don’t know how we didn’t notice it.

  3. The most embarrassing pet waste I have ever had to clean up must have been the time that we had gone hiking in an area with lots of sheep. My dog had really enjoyed the hike but most of all he had enjoyed the sheep pellets. To the extent that he brought up a whole lot of it while we were on the bus back home. In a crazy reflex, thinking “oh no, I can’t let him puke sheep-poo all over the bus” I caught almost all of it in my hands. I wonder if such lights are commonly used when cleaning busses and trains…

    1. Lindsay Stordahl

      Haha! Oh my gosh. That is a good one! I bet they do use blacklights for cleaning buses and trains from time to time.

  4. Reminds us of Gordon Ramsey when he uses the UV light to show the ‘mess’ in those ratty hotels.

    I wonder if this would work for that use case? If so, we can take this with us when we travel. Or not.

  5. The most horrifying pet messes I’ve encountered I’ve found at my sister’s place (not that I haven’t had some duesies, she just has bad luck). Once I came by and there was diarrhea all over the house. She’d switched her dog to a new food (which I’d recommended – oops) and the dog had basically exploded out the butt. I helped clean it up, then I was sitting on her new leather couch eating a biscuit and I was assailed with the reek of poo. After some frantic scrambling to find the source, I realized it was ME. Not just me; my biscuit! There was poo on the couch, which I’d put my hand in, which I’d then used to pick up my food . . . and smeared on my food. I threw the thing away in horror, but it didn’t end there. I could still smell it! It was on my FACE!

    Then there was the time where I snuck into her house early in the morning to borrow her cake saver. I saw something small and grey on the kitchen floor, and assumed it to be a hairball. I looked at it. It looked back. It was a severed mouse head, with the discarded tail off to the side, congealing in a small pool of blood. I screamed. My sister screamed from her bedroom, where I think I’d woken her up. I stumbled into her room and shouted some kind of gibberish but I think all she heard was, “JUST THE HEAD!!!!!” She informed me that she would quite literally loose it if she had to deal with that, so I helped clean the crime scene. At least I got the cake saver.

    I should get this for my poor sister as a gag gift . . . I don’t think I want to know what it would show at my own house, though.

    1. Lindsay Stordahl

      Oh my gosh!! Hahaha! That definitely tops any story I have. So gross and so funny only because it happened to someone else! That first story is just hilarious!

  6. Thanks for sparing us the before and after photos 🙂 This sounds like a very good idea for certain situations. Pee, for example, is very difficult to see on some carpets and so you have to feel your way into the areas that need to be cleaned. Yuck!

    1. Oliver Rocket Pet Products will be launching an odor removal product soon. But yes, I do currently use white vinegar and water. Or sometimes baking soda. Seems to work better than any soaps, etc.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *