Healthy dog food that is ethically raised and sourced
Note: That Mutt has partnered with Open Farm to bring you this post and giveaway.
I’m not sure how many of you remember this, but I was a vegetarian for about five years.
This wasn’t because I am against using animals for food. It was because I am deeply concerned about how factory farm animals are raised.
It’s no secret that the conditions most of these animals live in are horrific. The treatment they receive throughout their entire lives is also a nightmare.
But I’m not suggesting you give up meat, and I would never consider a vegetarian diet for a dog. Instead, we can all do the best we can to buy our food from ethical, humane sources.
Here’s where Open Farm pet food comes in.
More info on Open Farm dog food
Leave a comment below for a chance to win a 4.5-pound bag of Open Farm dog food for your pup. Click here.
Open Farm is the first ethically raised and sourced dog food on the market.
The company is based in Canada and says it is rooted in the belief that the best ingredients are grown and raised by farmers who respect the land and the animals under their care. Its recipes are prepared with ocean caught fish, locally grown vegetables and meat that is 100 percent certified by the Humane Farm Animal Care Program, a nonprofit dedicated to improving the lives of farm animals.
“Our ‘Do Some Good’ concept means that pet parents can feed the best quality ingredients to their pets while making a positive impact for farm animals, family farms and the environment,” according to Open Farm.
This 3-minute video from Open Farm describes the brand’s mission. I think it’s a company you’ll want to support.
Some key points that set this food apart from others:
- Open Farm wanted to give people a humane option for buying pet food.
- The company’s meat and poultry is 100 percent certified by the Humane Farm Animal Care Program.
- The company uses ocean caught, seasonally sourced fish.
- 90 percent of its fruits and vegetables are grown locally.
- It set up a recycling program for its dog food bags with TerraCycle.
To read more details on the company’s high standards, click here.
Where to order Open Farm dog food
Open Farm dog food is available at various retail locations around the United States and Canada. Click here to enter your zip code and find a retailer near you.
The food comes in three varieties: Homestead Turkey & Chicken, Farmer’s Market Pork & Root Vegetable and Catch of the Season Whitefish & Green Lentil. All recipes are grain free, and the food comes in 4.5-pound, 12-pound and 24-pound bags.
The larger bags retail for around $75. I think this is a good price. While the cost is similar to other grain-free brands, Open Farm voluntarily holds itself to much higher standards than other companies.
What I like about Open Farm’s food
1. I don’t have to feel guilty about feeding this food to my dog. I know the animals raised for this food were treated humanely because the company says its entire “food-to-bowl” supply chain is audited and certified by the Humane Farm Animal Care Program.
2. Open Farm launched a “traceability app” where you can instantly trace the origin of every ingredient in any bag. Simply visit Open Farm’s site, enter the code on the back of your bag and you will be able to see where each ingredient originated.
3. While I generally encourage dog owners to consider feeding raw food, I absolutely recommend Open Farm as a high-quality dry food and am 100 percent comfortable feeding it to my dog.
Is there anything not so good?
No, not really!
1. Price is always an issue when it comes to healthier food. For those who can’t quite afford this food, I would suggest adding it to a rotation where you mix it in with your dog’s regular food every other month or so.
2. There’s no cat food version available. Maybe soon? 🙂
3. There are only three varieties to choose from. I actually like that there are only three selections. I think simple is good. However, some dogs need more options to meet their needs, so Open Farm might not be right for them.
Giveaway! Enter to win a bag of Open Farm dog food
Open Farm is giving away a 4.5-pound bag of food to one lucky readers of That Mutt.
To enter, leave a comment below that lets me know your dog wants in on the drawing. What is it about Open Farm’s practices that you like the best?
I’ll choose one winner at random on Tuesday Dec. 22. Must have a U.S. or Canadian mailing address to win.
There is also a second giveaway available to That Mutt’s newsletter subscribers. (Are you signed up yet? You can do so below.)
Would your dog like to try Open Farm’s food?
Leave a comment to enter our giveaway!