Note: Balanced Blends is a sponsor of That Mutt.

This post is for you if you’re interested in feeding your dog or cat a raw diet or if you’re already feeding raw and want a good deal on pre-made food. 

Balanced Blends is offering “starter packs” of raw food for those who would like to give raw feeding a try. You can order 2 pounds of raw food for your dog and get FREE SHIPPING when you use code STARTERPACK at checkout. Click here.

I really love the idea of feeding all my pets a raw diet.

I enjoy feeding them raw meat and bones and watching them be the meat eaters they’re designed to be.

Perhaps I should’ve been a zoo keeper? Perhaps I watched the Discovery Channel too much as a child? I’m not sure.

I do know dogs and cats are meant to eat raw meat, and raw pet food companies make life easier for pet owners.

Balanced Blends offers:

1. Deliveries right to your door. Saves time, energy and stress. You can order once or you can set up a subscription for regular deliveries (easy to pause, cancel, edit or postpone).

2. Properly balanced meals. If I feed a homemade raw diet, I worry that it’s not properly balanced and my dog is not getting the nutrients he needs over time. Balanced Blends removes that worry.

3. Extra safe raw food. The company calls its raw diets extra safe. This is because the diets are applied with high pressure processing (HPP) in their final packaging to eliminate the risk of recontamination from reprocessing the food again, after HPP, into patties or nuggets. The food is also tested by a third party and is only sold after the pathogen test results come back negative. This gives pet owners peace of mind. 

Remy got to try Balanced Blends

4. Food that is 90% meat, organ and bone. The remaining 10% is fruits, veggies, vitamins and trace minerals. This is exactly how I prefer to feed a raw diet, with just a minimal amount of fruits and veggies. (The cat diets are 98% meat because cats are true carnivores.)

5. No ingredients from China. It’s not necessarily bad if a dog food company uses ingredients from China. But ever since so many dogs got sick from jerky treats sourced there, many pet owners are more comfortable knowing a company uses no Chinese ingredients.

6. Optimal calcium to phosphorus ratio. This is a concern of mine when feeding homemade raw. “Am I getting it right?”

7. Optimal Omega 6 to Omega 3 ratio. Another concern of mine when feeding homemade.

8. Free shipping when you order 20 pounds or more.

9. Transparency. The company is very straightforward with all of its ingredients, policies and how the food is made. If you have a question, just ask! You can leave them in the comments below if you’d like.

How much does it cost?

The price for Balanced Blends raw dog food ranges from $30 to $35 per 5 pounds of food. That equals $6 to $7 per pound (free shipping when you buy 20 pounds or more).

I know the cost of pre-made raw dog food is a common concern, so here are some ways to justify the cost and fit it into your budget.

How to justify the cost of raw dog food

1. Pre-made raw is a great way to get started. Use it to take away the stress about getting the right balance. Then, over a month or two you could switch your dog to a homemade raw diet as you get more comfortable with the concept of raw feeding in general.

2. Convenient when you’re short on time. Even if you prefer to feed homemade raw most of the time, on occasion it’s nice to have some food ready to go when you’re simply busy or stressed or don’t have a lot of time.

3. Feed occasionally for balance and variety. You could feed Balanced Blends every other meal or a few times per week to give your dog balance and variety.

4. Easier for travel. If you board your dog or leave her with a pet sitter, sometimes it’s easier if you can provide pre-made raw for the sitter. Or, if you’re traveling with your dog, you could have the food shipped directly to your destination. Much easier than packing raw food in a cooler!

My cat trying Balanced Blends raw cat food

How to get started – what questions do you have?

Do you have any questions about the company or how to get started feeding a raw diet? Just let me know in the comments below. I have several raw feeders who follow my blog, and they might chime in to answer your questions as well.

Learn more about Balanced Blends HERE.

Convenient, easy raw diets for dogs from Balanced Blends

 

Support That Mutt on Patreon and receive free stickers, automatic entries into all giveaways and much more! Click Here